I began thinking about writing this blog in a review/my philosophy final blog, then I realized I should save that for my final project. Here are some topics that struck me from the reading.
Susan K. Green and Robert L. Johnson write in their book, Assessment is Essential, about how some teachers inappropriately lower their standards to build self-esteem. I believe that self-esteem can be built through successfully meeting high goals. When a student works hard and meets high expectations they learn about the benefits about of dedication. This is the best lesson for students because the can use the lesson in other aspects of their lives.
It will be tough to "ensure students can understand the principles behind activities and not just the activities themselves (361)." This an aspect of teaching that I think requires the most reflection. Teachers should continuously reflection on whether lessons are working to successfully to meet the learning goals.
I believe the diagnostic assessment is equally, if not harder, to develop than other aspects of assessment because teachers need to certain that they are making or using accurate forms. Especially in discussion as a form of diagnostic assessment - the answers and impression of what the class knows could be greatly influenced by only a few people that may not be representative of the group. Teachers need to work to make sure diagnostic assessments are representative because this information determines the pace and lessons of the unit and what student and teachers will compare their growth to.
The best way to get student input in assessment design would be to use small groups to brainstorm ideas and turn into the teacher. This again would work best to get a full and accurate representation of what students believe is appropriate and expected work.
No comments:
Post a Comment